Saturday, August 27, 2011

Inaugural Season Autographs Preview

Since Bob Wage was nice enough to give me a mention tonight on Canes Country, I figured I should back track a bit for new visitors to my blog. I would recommend reading my "Introduction" post as it provides some good background on why I started this blog. As I mentioned in the introduction, I gathered a lot of Hurricanes autographs during their inaugural season. I'm planning on posting many of these over the next few weeks, but need some time to get them out of storage. As a preview, here are a few that I was able to locate today.

The first is a Jeff O'Neill card that I got autographed at the Hurricanes first fan event in Greensboro during the summer before the Hurricanes began their first season in North Carolina. You'll notice that O'Neill is wearing a Whalers jersey since no Hurricanes cards had been produced yet. You can also see how the signature has faded over the past 10+ years - this is one reason why I don't like glossy cards, they don't hold signatures like the older non-glossy ones do.




This next card is a Stu Grimson card that I also got signed during the fan event. As you can see, this card held its signature much better than the glossy O'Neill card. This is one of the reasons why I really like this card, not to mention the overall clean look of the Upper Deck cards from this era (another reason why I liked the UD retro cards so much this year).






When the Hurricanes first moved to North Carolina, Keith Primeau probably was the most popular player on the team. However, his time in Carolina lasted for only a few seasons before he was eventually traded for Rod Brind'Amour. Despite any ill feelings towards Primeau as a result of his departure, I really like this card because of the cool camera angle. The card actually features Primeau in a Detroit Red Wings uniform, but it's hard to see, so at the time, it could easily pass as a Hurricanes card. I think the signature adds a nice touch to the card.




The final card that I'll mention tonight is this Glen Wesley card that I also got autographed at the fan event. Again, Wesley is wearing a Whalers uniform since no Hurricanes cards had been printed yet. I got this card signed in red because I thought it would stand out better against Wesley's dark pants. Honestly, I think that I may have been the only person at the even getting cards autographed as I don't recall anyone (this includes my hockey teammates that were in attendance) else even knowing who any of the players were besides Primeau. I've got several more Wesley cards that I also got signed that I'll post later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment